Wednesday, August 10, 2005

"Intelligent Design" Adopted by Kansas

While so much of the county is focused on "islamo-fascisim," there is very little attention being paid to an equal or greater threat to this county - namely "christo-fascism."

Today, the christo-fascists in Kansas struck a blow against education when, by a 6-4 margin, the Kansas Board of (Un)Education approved the teaching of "intelligent design" in Kansas classrooms. The most recent draft of those standards, dated July 12, 2005, claims to not adopt "intelligent design," but that appears to be, well, not exactly true.

Personally, I think there's something to intelligent design in the sense that the development of intelligent life (or perhaps life at all?) took such an unlikely random series of events that something must have dabbled in the great genetic pool. However, that discussion belongs in a scientific philosophy class - not a science class. There is a difference between science and philosophy.

That said, I seriously doubt the Kansas Board really thinks aliens may have influenced the course of evolution on this planet.

1 comment:

Harold said...

My question regarding Intelligent Design is, where does it go once you've taught that some force may have nudged the universe into existence? I mean, if a kid asks, "Teacher, who or what put this universe into existence," can the teacher then respond, "well, child, let me tell you about my savior, the messiah, Lard Ja-heesus H. Christ." I mean, I'm more than open to the idea that some entity might have initiated the big bang, but Jesus.